Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Craft Stash Organization

Craft week at Spell Outloud continues! I thought I'd share how I am currently organizing most of my craft supplies. Now a long, long, time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away----ok, it was really only several years ago and 5 states away---I was a professional scrapbooker. No seriously, I didn't make that term up---lol! There are such things as professional scrapbookers. :) In my previous house, I had a huge room devoted to all my scrapbooking supplies---which was a lot! I had many different storage carts, drawers, cabinets and shelves. Now I no longer have a room, but do have a pretty good-sized closet to store our stuff. When I switched to digital scrapbooking, I got rid of most of my scrap stash, and had lots of empty organization bins. Just recently I thought I'd put them to good use again and use them to organize my kids' craft supplies.


When I was a paper scrapbooker, I had purchased a Plano fishing tackle box to store all my embellishments. Now I use this box for some of our smaller craft supplies.


I used my Brother label maker to label all the individual drawers. I love that it is very portable. We can carry it to wherever we are crafting with no problem.

I also have several plastic craft storage box to store small items in. These stack neatly on a shelf and they are pretty cheap. I can usually find them under $2.00 at my local hobby or discount store.


Next I have two 6-drawer Iris carts. These use to house all my scrapbooking paper. Now we use them to keep our craft supplies organized.

I have drawers labeled:

*fun foam sheets
*tissue paper
*cotton balls & paper sacks
*popsicle sticks
*misc. crafts
*glue guns
*adhesives
*Chrismtas
*craft kits
*scissors & cutting mats
*water colors and brushes

I also have two 3-drawer white plastic carts. I have drawers labeled:

*recycled crafts ---this is where I throw all the paper towel/toliet paper tubes, plastic lids, paper plates, cool containers that might make good crafts etc.

*fun foam pieces - I have fun foamies in plastic bags by theme and then put them all in this drawer.

*card making -- prefolded cardstock and envelopes

*large stamps -- I have lots of foam stamps that I let the kids use.

*punches

*extra school supplies


I also have 3 of these Sterlite bins on a shelf that contains our construction paper packs, loose notebook papers and scratch paper/drawing paper.

So that is what my craft organization looks like for now. It seems to be an ever-changing process though :)  All I know is that if I keep up with the system, creating happens more often. I can't stand when I know I have a supply but can't find it (believe me--this still happens even with my organization!) So how do you store your craft supplies?  Do you have a dedicated craft closet or cabinet? If you have a blog post about your craft organization, please link us up! I'm always on the look-out for organizational ideas.



Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger One Red Daisy said...

I love your organization, and I use to use a tackle box for my own projects. Great ideas!

I keep wishing I had more time during the week to do crafts with my son. Perhaps (see you've motivated me) I should have a Crafty Wednesday, or something like that, where it is leftover night and we take 30 minutes after getting home from daycare/work to do projects, or Saturday afternoons. Do you plan far in advance?

June 10, 2010 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Lisa Noel said...

Love the scrapbox

New follower from Mom Blogger Club. I would love a return follow! Can't wait to read more. THANKS

http://www.ohboyohboyohboy.com

June 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

One Red Daisy....

I will admit that I don't plan too far in advance. I have several go-to crafts that I let my younger kids do that doesn't require preparation, just supplies:

-- cutting paper into pieces
-- glueing punchies onto paper
-- fingerpainting
-- watercolors
-- playdough
-- creating a sticker masterpiece
-- plain ol' drawing w/ crayons or markers
-- Painting with dot paint markers (Bingo markers)
-- chalk drawings (on paper or sidewalks)

Then I have several craft kits that I can use. I only plan crafts that go along with books or units we are doing. I usually come up with 2 original crafts a month and the rest are listed above.

June 10, 2010 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Wow! You are one organized lady! I could learn alot from you:) Just wanted to stop by and say hello and welcome you to the Crew! I'm glad to have you on my mini-crew...it's going to be a great year!

June 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just posted about my room! http://www.jenmacknick.blogspot.com

Hope you'll find some inspiration!

June 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That looks very organized. My "scrapbook room" turned into schoolroom/office but is better known for storage of clutter. Your pictures and descriptions are inspiring.

January 4, 2011 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Amazing! I want to come to your house to play! :-)

January 5, 2011 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Thanks for sharing all these great ideas. Now, can you come hold my hand and help me at my house? :)

January 7, 2011 at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home