Friday, December 11, 2009

Homemade Scrubs and Celebrations

brown sugar scrubThis month I added a bunch of new blogs to my blog reader. One blog was Bake at 350. She recently posted how she made her own sugar scrubs. They looked wonderful and it didn't look too hard to make. So two of my friends and I got together to this week to mix up a couple of batches. We used the recipes from C&H Sugar. Well at least we started with the recipes from there but the process kind ended up having a mind of it's own. Apparently I make sugar scrubs the same way I cook---I kind of wing it, adding what I think it needs. I made the spicy brown sugar scrub but added more cinnamon, pumpkin spices and a couple drops of Vit. E because I read somewhere that it helps extend the shelf life a bit. I don't know if it's true or not, but Vit. E drops are good for your skin so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

My girlfriends started out making the white sugar scrub but added grapefruit essential oil, vanilla and orange zest. They used olive oil --- which if you use olive oil make sure you use a very light oil. Otherwise the olive oil scent can be a little overpowering. Boy it was fun! I can't wait to try some other essential oils in the mix. I found these Ball Elite Platinum Wide Mouth Half Pt (8oz) Jars on the bottom shelf @ Target. I took the last box. Apparently it is hard to find jars at this time of the year. Next year I'll be on the look-out in the summer.
This week at our homeschool co-op I shared the Trinity Snowman poem. I had been looking for a snowman prop to help illustrate the story while telling. Apparently penguins are the "in" decoration this year. After going to at least 5 stores, my girlfriend found this cute light-up snowman at Walgreens. It's small and light enough that when we go to the local nursing home next week we'll bring it when we share the poem there.
While at co-op the kids worked on the Christmas cards for the nursing home residents. They colored the card and glued onto cardstock. Then they glued the Trinity snowman poem to the inside of the card. They added ribbon around the side for a finishing touch. I forgot to take a picture of the finished version. They turned out cute. Especially the ones that were pasted upside down by the little toddlers. So precious!

Since this was the last co-op session for the semester, we had a little award ceremony. The kids had been learning about instruments and even had to come up with their own instrument to share with the group. The teacher awarded each participant with a music note or instrument ornaments. For science this semester the kids worked on the first half of Exploring Creation With Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures of the 5th Day Each child got a homemade dolphin ornament. Then our Bible memory challenge was John 15:1-8. I was so proud of the kids because almost every one of the kids could say the whole passage. It is so awesome to see the kids hiding God's word in their hearts!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bridget {bake at 350} said...

You are making want to make some more scrubs!!! I love all of your ideas for additions! Thank you so much for the shout-out!

Merry Christmas!

December 16, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home