Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bug Color Sort

Since I knew my older kids were going to be studying insects this summer, I picked up these stretchy bugs from the Dollar Spot at Target this past spring. I figured I could use them with the older kids and with my toddler. I have a bad habit of picking up things at the Dollar Spot without knowing what I'm going to do with them. I always feel better when I can justify my purchase :) This is my attempt to do just that. ;)

Since the bugs only came in 6 colors, I went ahead and made a 6 color sorting mat that matched the bug colors. (Click link above if you think you might have a use for it)

Then we dumped them all out, stretched them a bit because we couldn't resist, and worked on finding the right "home" for each bug. Apparently the blue bug is visiting the orange bug ;)

This activity will be added into our toddler workbox lists. Later I'll have her divide the bugs into groups that have 6 legs and those who don't (this pack has spiders and centipedes too). She's not quite up to that skill yet. We might use them for counters, as game board pieces and for "bug hunts". So many options!

Yep, this works for me and DD#3!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

These are the kind of bugs I can get into!!! Awesome photos!

August 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Quilter422 said...

what a great activity for a little one! super creative.

August 13, 2009 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Terri Davenport said...

What a great idea! I love your creative ideas!

August 13, 2009 at 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Idea Mo! I just love reading all your posts!

August 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home