Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cupcake Art



After reading If You Give a Cat a Cupcake, we decided to make our own jumbo cupcake.We tried not to be as messy as the cat, but that's a part of creating our own art masterpieces! :)


Supplies:
cupcake template printed on cardstock
watercolor paints
foam brush or jumbo paint brush
salt
scissors
glue


cupcakecraft1

First paint the cupcake with watercolors.

cupcakecraft2

While the paint is still wet, sprinkle some salt on the top part of the cupcake. The salt adds a nice speckled effect on the painting.

cupcakecraft2a  
Since we did this activity after reading If You Give a Cat a Cupcake, we pretended the salt was the sprinkles from the book.

cupcakecraftfinalcupcakecraftfinal3

Once the painting is dry, cut it out and glue onto the “My cupcake” page. Add any decorations.

There you have it! A super sweet art project and a great reminder of what we did during our letter "C" week. To see what else we did during our “Cc is for cupcake” week, check out my post on Totally Tots.

For More Book/Craft ideas see:
stART : A Mommy's Adventures
Read. Learn. Explore.
Preschool Corner

abc button

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger The girl who painted trees said...

Just read your post at Totally Tots. Wow! What a great cupcake unit:)

February 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Rachelle said...

HOW CUTE! Love!
-RAchelle
www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

February 2, 2011 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger KarenHSlifesituations said...

I loved books by Laura Numeroff. I wish my kids were still young enough for picture books. The craft looks fun too.

February 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger Mozer said...

Thanks Julie and Rachelle!

Karen, I had no idea either how many books Laura Numeroff has out now!

February 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Pitt said...

So sweet! My 3 year old guy would love that!

February 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous maggy, red ted art said...

Your cupcakes look so cute and love the idea of seeing the effect of the salt. The book sounds fab too!!

Thank you for linking up!!

Maggy

February 3, 2011 at 4:32 AM  
Blogger An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We love that book!

February 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am surprised they didn't try to lick off the icing on the "cupcakes"- isn't that the proper way to dispose of a cupcake? :0)

February 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger April said...

My daughter loves that book. I never added salt to watercolors before. Sounds like fun!

Coming through from stART

February 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Ticia said...

Salt is one of the many ways that I think about changing around how we paint, but I never follow through.

February 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would eat either one in a heatbeat.

February 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Brimful Curiosities said...

Oooh, you just reminded me about plans to make a real giant cupcake. I have this bowl that would be perfect. The painted cupcakes turned out cute and the salt was a nice touch.

February 4, 2011 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Michelle Smith said...

We enjoy the Laura Numeroff "If You Give A . . ." books. Very creative!

I've awarded you the Stylish Blogger award over on my blog. Congratulations!

http://homeschoolblogger.com/alifebetterthanidese/784254/

February 4, 2011 at 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home