Friday, October 7, 2011

Down on the Alpaca Farm

This is the time of year where I try to pack in as many field trips as I can before winter. Last year we visited the same small alpaca farm, and we thought it would be fun to visit again.

turkey 
We were first greeted by a gang of turkeys. We turned down the wrong driveway. When we tried to back out, these turkeys chased after our van. The kids thought this was hilarious.

alpacafarmfieldtrip 
Once we figured out where to go, I strapped Lil Pumpkin on my back  in my Ergo carrier and was ready to go. Little did I realize how much hiking I would be doing….

alpaca
We first visited the alpacas. Did you know alpacas have a 3-chambered stomach?

frog
Our group got to spend some time hiking through the woods on the farm. We found a tree frog, looked for fossils, found puffballs, and got to pet several different animals.

bones
While hiking the kids happened to find some bones. They had fun trying to guess what animal the bones were from. They spent quite a bit of time examining and talking about the bones. How timely since we are studying anatomy right now.

skull
Yep, gross. They brought these bones home too. Oh, and for the record—these are alpaca bones.  Can you see how much my son is enjoying showing off his find?

bunny  
We had a great time hiking and seeing animals that we don’t get to interact with on an everyday basis. By the time the fieldtrip was over, my little girls were brave enough to actually pet the farm dog and the bunny. That was a big step for them, especially the 4yr. old.

Have you been on any fun field trips lately?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Veronica Lee said...

WOW! Such beautiful pics!! Love the one with the alpaca! I've never seen a real one before!

Happy Sunday!

October 9, 2011 at 2:14 AM  
Blogger Rik said...

Great pics! We've been trying to get in lots of outdoor field trips before winter too ;)

October 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

The fact that you were visiting an alpaca farm caught my attention. I would love to get to visit one. Alpacas are so cute. I'm trying to convince my family that we need to add alpacas to the family! Our most recent field trip was to a Doktor Kaboom performance. It was a great deal of fun. My daughter loves science so it really worked for her. Thanks for posting yoru pictures.
Linda
Homeschooling 1 child almost 5 years with Time4Learning!

October 10, 2011 at 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know you were here! :) I appreciate you taking the time to write. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer it in the comments section here or via email if it is listed in your profile.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home